Wednesday, February 27, 2008

NYN Insider


When I started NYN in 2004 I only had a vague understanding of nightlife in the city. I knew it was complicated. I knew it was big. That was about it. I didn’t know where to go, or how to get in, or how much things cost.


So I went out to a lot of different types of places. I kept notes on which places catered to which people. I paid attention to how things worked. I tended bar, I became a DJ, I talked to comedians, musicians, owners and bouncers. And I drank a lot.


Since then, I’ve found out a lot about the different areas of the city and the different types of clubs in each area. Friends, co-workers and random people I never met before found out what I was doing and started to ask me for help when they were planning a night out.


Hey G, I’m taking this girl out for a date. Where should I take her?

My birthday is next week, where should I have my party?

Where is the best place for a drink around here?

What’s the best new club?


I’d talk to them about what they liked, what they disliked, and what was available. The more people I helped, the more people would come to me when they wanted to go out. It happened often enough that I came up with a system to give people choices on where to go and what to do. Then they could make up their own minds and have a good time.


I didn’t consider it a part of New York Nights. It was just something random I did for friends. A couple of weeks ago I started reading about websites offering personal fashion advice. I started thinking; “why not offer personal advice to people who are planning a party?” I’ve got the website. I’ve got the system. All I needed was a name. I decided to call it NYN Insider because it would give people the same insight on nightlife that an insider has.


Now I can do my part to make New York a better place, one party at a time.


Have fun.

G


If you want to take advantage of NYN Insider just contact me.

No comments: